Re: 4 point harnesses

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 point harnesses
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 07:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
I have a camlock 5-pt. in the car.
Good:
-The 4-5-6 pt. harness do look sporty but not
authentic. (How much do you value someone going "wow.
That car must be fast!")
-With 5 & 6 pt. you get no submarining
-And less back torsion from your body twisting at the
back as you do from a cross-the-chest type.
-It makes you feel very secure.
-They aren't on a reel. (Who the hell thought that one
up? Ah! Friction will keep me in place. JK. I know
friction reels work most of the time.)

Bad:
-They're bulkier and seem to get in your way a lot
when you're not wearing it.
-They need large heavy reinforcement plates welded
into place on the body to spread the exerted forces.
(not a great big deal, but it will take a weekend).
But otherwise, you might as well drape some dental
floss across your lap and call it a day.
-They are annoying to move around. (if you're tall and
have the seat back all the way, it can actually make
it difficult to shift, because your 'pinned' to the
back of the seat)
-They take atleast 10 times as long to get situated,
and need re-adjustment for different sized people or
if you've got a thick jacket on, etc. As they are not
on a reel. And it's even MORE time if you have one of
those "latch" type harnesses (non-camlock).

Ugly:
-If you DO submarine with a sub-belt, your forward
momentum is stopped by the belt pushing your nads up
in into your neck.
-I would say you are practically gaurenteed of being
decapitated in a roll-over. But I think this is true
of any belt that is really keeping you securely in
place. Pray you never experience a roll-over in an LBC
and if you do, you better prey you do get ejected and
change your prayer to land on a pile of pillows.

I usually don't latch all 5 points on my harness. I
usually just do the across the lap connection. But I'm
crazy like that.
When you do have it all strapped in, the "Y" type
doesn't bite into your neck like the across the chest
stock type. God! Do I hate that! So it's actually more
comfortable in my opinion. But I'm not sure it's worth
all the time and clicking things into place.
I think I spent around $80-$90 for ONE camlock harness
(they normally cost around $140 ea.). So you can add
"expensive" to the ugly list.
-Terry