Oil Coolers

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Coolers
From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:11:30 +0100
Many thanks for the quick response.  As I am in a somewhat cooler, and
wetter climate, I will stick to my additional fan to keep the Spit cool.

For those who followed some of my earlier emails, I have now fixed my carb
problem.  After a deterioration of the Spits performance, I decided to strip
the carbs again.  Things got so bad, we were firing on 3 or even sometimes 2
cylinders.

I have to admit to making a mistake when fitting the new jets.  At the time,
I did not have the carbs off and fitted them in situ.  I didnt notice that
some of the rubber seal was still left on the thread of the fuel chamber so
when I fitted the new jet this just blocked up the jet entrance.  Thus fuel
was sometimes getting through but pieces of the seal were slowly blocking up
the jet totally.

We live and learn!

Something I did notice is a different suction chamber front and back.  Rear
carb has AUC1432 which has two holes in the base.  Front has AUC1422 which
has none!  Cant find any examples of this anywhere, or to be honest any of
those part numbers listed anywhere.  She is an early Mk1 so is this peculiar
to my model or has the previous owner placed a different carb on?

All is now fixed and she went down to a local garage for some welding and
the MOT.  Hopefully it wont be too long before I am motoring away to some of
the shows this year.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I have put the kiss of death on the weather
though.  With the Spit ready, I am sure it will begin to rain again!

Martin

'63 Spit4

---