Re: Re: Stanpart numbers

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Stanpart numbers
From: Dave Fain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:37:46 -0600 (MDT)
Hi, Andy.  I checked my GT6 parts book and didn't find
these numbers, but it is for a MkI and the engine is
definitely a Plus so I was thinking that the numbers
just didn't exist when the book was printed.  Pistons
1-5 have numbers in the proper place and #6 doesn't so
I think it was definitely a replacement.  The fact that
it was in the cylinder where the gasket blew makes me
think that it has blown before and the cause of the
problem wasn't corrected, probably a warped head or
a crack somewhere.

Mike Porter suggested that maybe the odd one is from a
TR6 or Spitfire or something with the right size bore
because it was available.  All of the cylinders have
almost zero wear, just enough of a ridge that you can
barely catch your fingernail on it.  I was hoping to do
the rebuild without buying new pistons.  I am going to
mill the deck and take about .050 off the head, that
should help me spot the problem.  I was looking for
the oversize to be stamped on the pistons and didn't
see it anywhere so I think 1-5 are original.  Maybe
the S and R stand for standard and replacement?
Dave