Re: Removing Bell Housing and Tranny from Engine

To: Mike Chmura <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Subject: Re: Removing Bell Housing and Tranny from Engine
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:43:44 -0400
Mike Chmura wrote:
> Hello Listers,

Hello back atya!

> - Does the bell housing and tranny immediately fall and needs to be
> supported underneath?
> - I've got the engine supported on a scissors jack with a block of wood
> but was wondering if the same had to be done for the tranny?
> - Any special tricks to handling the removal or re-assembly process that
> the manual doesn't mention?

Have you dropped the drive shaft out of the car?  If not you'll need to
jack the tranny up far enough to clear the drive shaft flange, which in
turn means the bell housing will now interfere with the ventilation
hoses coming off the bottom of the heater box.  So remove the hoses.
When you've got the transmission pulled out an inch or so, lower it to
clear the heater box by lowering the jack you had placed underneath the
rear end of the oil sump to jack the thing up at the beginning of this
paragraph.  Got that?  :o)  Now pull the tranny off.  If it won't come
easily, fiddle with the jack height.

I don't think the suggestion to put a jack under the bell housing is a
good one.  You'd be putting quite a shear stress on the input shaft,
which will bind and make it difficult to pull the thing out of the
engine.  But once it's out, it'll drop to the frame rails with a thud,
so the idea of a bit of wood between the frame rails to catch it on,
seems a good one.

--
Douglas Frank  DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,