Todd the Newbe

To: Stardust8409@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Todd the Newbe
From: JohnZissler@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:30:00 EST
 Dont know if I sent this twice, oh well never mind........

Hi Todd,
               Well the first thing to do is to get the old block out of the
Spit and get to work dismantling the bottom end, as that is where your
trouble lays I would think. But whatever you do DO NOT do as I did and just
go at it like a bull in a china shop........Make a detailed note of where
EVERY single bolt goes, and get yourself a pile of plastic storage bags, you
know the ones that you can seal. Marker pen the contents of each bag and
where it goes. For instance..... If possible when you have taken off the sump
pan tie the plastic bag with all the sump bolts onto the pan, that way you
know where they go. Some manuals say re locate the bolts back into the block
where you took them from. While this is a good idea you do run the risk of
snagging these bolts when you come to manhandle the block....the bolts can
get in the way. A very important piece of kit to have is a Manual for your
model Spit. Without it you will get yourself into a lot of trouble. Also when
dismantling all the ancilliaries around the engine compartment make sure that
you know how they go back. A digital camera is a good aid for this. You might
think this is all ott but believe me when you are standing there with this
oomagyflip thingy with 5 corners and a sticky out bit that will go on
somewhere but youre not quite sure where........ you will be glad of your
notes or pics or plastic bags with where it came from and how. So just to
reiterate,
1. Manual
2. Plastic sealable bags
3. Marker Pen
4. If possible Digital camera
5. And this is most important...ask as many questions as you need to on this
list. No matter how small or trivial it may seem to you, the tiniest smallest
trivial bit that you miss will come back to haunt you and probably undo all
the good work you did previously, and might cost you your rebuilt engine.
6.  Have fun............its a Spit after all.

Happy Spitting..................John  (In the UK)

Spitfire MkII in bits. (Others call it restoration)
Spitfire Chassis MkIV (awaiting a spot of welding) I am nearly a collector
!!!!!!!
Spitfire Mk III (for spares)   I 'am' a collector !!!!!!

This email is scanned by AVG Anti-virus protection  (www.grisoft.com)