Manifold/Downpipe gasket

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifold/Downpipe gasket
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:37:57 +0000
Dear All,

Well, it's done.   It was a little more difficult than it should have
been.

The manifold is connected to the downpipe by three 5/16" UNF steel
studs, and three 5/16" UNF brass nuts, right?   Wrong.   When I came to
take off the old nuts, I found that one was steel, 12mm A/F (on an M8
steel stud); one was steel, 7/16" A/F (on a 5/16" UNF steel stud); and
one was brass, 1/2" A/F (on a 5/16" UNF steel stud).

The M8 stud has now been replaced with the correct 5/16" UNF item
(amazingly, the threads in the manifold didn't seem to have been damaged
beyond use), and I have three shiny new 5/16" UNF brass nuts holding in
my nice new gasket.   I also have the most extraordinary pong in the
cockpit - sort of a cross between a warm 1940s radio and a Christmas
pudding.   Is this the new gasket burning off chemicals used in the
manufacturing process, or is there a plum-pudding-loving gremlin
repairing vintage radios in my heater core??

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671