Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:28:01 +0000
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, at around 07:11:18 local time, Greg Rowe
<growe58@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>

>>There are certainly too many variables to start pulling things apart - only
>>calibrate against known measurrements. At the moment both of your
>>calibration benchmarks are unknown variables, not a good starting point,
>
>I didn't see any mention as to whether you were running stock
>tires; that could have an effect.

Dear All,

I bought a new toy this morning, and have been playing with it (and
other things) earlier this afternoon.   I can now confirm the following:

My rev counter is not in need of recalibration - it is certainly much
better than width-of-the-needle accurate, according to a Gunson
electronic rpm tester.

My diff is a standard 3.63:1 UK-spec 1500 diff (18.1/6 turns of the
crankshaft pulley for 10 turns of the rear wheel).

My tyres are standard (or at least I think this is standard) at 155/80
R13.   They are running at manufacturer's specified pressures.

This being the case, my speedometer *must* be accurate if it reads 18
mph per 1000 rpm in fourth - is this correct?   Have I missed anything?

However, I had to tweak the speedo needle by quite a bit to get it to
read accurately.   Even now, it is only absolutely accurate at around
60-70 mph, with accuracy falling off to about +10% at 30 (i.e., when I'm
doing about 1650 rpm in fourth, my speedo reads 33 mph).

>  Do you have any measured miles
>on the highways? I checked my speedometer on one of those once
>and is seems to be dead on.  The odometer, however is off almost
>5%.

We have very accurate mileage notices on our motorways - I checked the
odometer against a fifty mile stretch of the M5 in Cornwall/Devon last
week and found that it was reading about 8.9% low.

All this being the case, I believe I can draw two conclusions:

The Mazda's speedo is *very* over-optimistic.

My speedo/odo drive gear has too few teeth.

Am I right??

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671