Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:05:55 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

> Was there ever such a thing as 3.31:1 gearbox?   If so, I may have one
> fitted to my car!   I note that GT6s had a 3.27:1 overall ratio, which
> would give very similar results - could I possibly have a GT6 gearbox
> fitted to this Spitfire?   Are they (or their internals) interchangeable
> with Spitfire ones?   Can anyone come up with any other rational
> explanation why an odometer, apparently in perfect working order, reads
> 8.9% low?

Hi Mike,
    The overall drive ratio is a function of the final drive, ie, the
differential assembly (though the differential component within actually has no
bearing on the drive ratio, I digress). All of "our" gearboxes give a direct
1:1 drive ratio in 4th gear, with overdrive obviously giving a step down. The
3.27:1 drive ratio of the non-overdrive GT6 is derived from the final drive
which is geared to that exact ratio. If you had one of these you would know it
as you would have very poor acceleration from a 1500. There are different
plastic speedo drive gears fitted to various gearboxes and these have a bearing
on the speedo readings, but I don't know the specifics. You might want to ask
John Kipping about this as he's been helpful in the past on this subject (and
many others!).

> If I do have a freaky drive ratio, it might explain why the speedo in my
> wife's modern Mazda reckons we are doing 92 when travelling in convoy,
> with my revs at 4600, which would equate to 83 in a normal UK-spec
> Spit...

The usual weak link is the speedo unit itself. They were never particularly
accurate and as the internal magnets weaken with age they only become less
accurate. Unless you find something which has obviouly been swapped, it's a
fairly safe bet that your speedo is at fault,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics