RE: Strange Spitfire Fuel Delivery Problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Strange Spitfire Fuel Delivery Problem
From: "Chris Foster" <cfoster@eppcon.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 23:47:08 -0500
I guess first I should introduce myself - hi, I'm Chris... I purchased a '76
spitfire 1500 about a year and a half ago and have been reading the digest
version of the list for just over a year now...  Since I have never quite been
sure that simply sending mail as a member of the digest list I've been quite
quiet but have seen a number of really useful tips.  Hopefully this time I too
can contribute and help someone out.

When I purchased my spit it had an aftermarket fuel pump that kept me going for
the first year I had the car...  During my second summer with the car (being a
Canadian, it's hard to really enjoy the cars in the winter!),  I too started to
suffer from the symptoms you describe.  After investigating a number of options
(hopefully my hind-sight can help you), it was determined that my fuel pump was
the issue.

In the end, when I removed the fuel pump, I found that the lever arm did not
spring back to it's fully extended position.  Pressing the lever in by hand and
releasing resulted in the arm stopping about 1/8th from the end of it's full
travel.  The car ran like this for a quite a while, initially going 100's of
miles between occurrences when the problem first arose, but as the fuel pump
became weaker the time between occurrences shortened.

Hopefully that helps in some way...
c.
'76 Spit - Toronto Ont.