Re: Spongy Brakes

To: "Craig Smith" <csmith1@awcwire.com>,
Subject: Re: Spongy Brakes
From: "Bob Boehmer" <bob.boehmer@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:44:08 -0500
My front calipers were totally frozen after the car had sat for about 10
years (in my garage thankfully). In order to get them completely clean I
split them. There was a single port between the two halves which had a
rubber seal. The seal seemed to be in fine shape. I put them back together
using the original rubber seal and NO goop type sealant of any sort and have
not had any problems.

On the subject of sponginess:

I would like to second the advice to adjust the rear brakes. If your shoes
have worn sufficiently you can get a spongy pedal. The way I adjust mine is
to tighten the adjuster until you just begin to feel a slight drag when you
rotate the drum. Then back it off until the drag is just gone. Then back it
off 1/4 turn more. Repeat for other side.

If your hoses are going you can feel them bulge out when the brake pedal is
depressed. Mine were to the point where I could actually see them expanding.
I hate bleeding brakes so I would check the hoses before bleeding since you
will need to bleed the system after any hoses are replaced.

Bob