Re: Fuel pump

To: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump
From: Robert J Finnis <r.finnis@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:10:45 +0000
>My fuel pump decided to leak so I ordered a new one ( right part no etc.)..

>Problem is it won't fit. Side view the shape is perfect . But the new
shaft that lies on the cam is a U shaped piece as opposed to an l shape.

Hi,

Sounds like exactly the same problem I had a few months ago.  Eventually I had
to go for a secondhand pump, as all the pattern ones I was sent had the wrong
lever profile.  I had checked everything (comm no, engine no) and the pumps
supplied were correct on paper, but not in practice.  Some installs have a
spacer block between pump and the block (mine doesn't), but with one the pump
lever wouldn't touch the cam & without one it was too far in.  The only thing
I didn't consider was that the engine may have a different cam in it (I
haven't changed it, but the PO may have done).

This is on a UK spec MkIV with screw in fuel lines (as opposed to push fit).

Short answer : my solution was a good secondhand pump, rather than a new repro
one

I think you may be able to get rebuild kits for the pumps, but mine had a
cracked casing, so I needed a whole new pump.

Hope this helps

Rob.