Altermator light on dimly

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Altermator light on dimly
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 20:57:58 -0500
Problem: alternator light glows dimly (barely visible) with
headlights on, brightening as fan, turn signals, brake lights,
wipers etc are turned on.  Headlights dim/wipers and fan slow
when additional accessories are turned on.

What I've done so far:

Had the Lucas alternator rebuilt.  Replaced with known good
used Lucas alternator.  Converted to used GM alternator.
Replaced with rebuilt 65amp GM alternator.  No change at
any point.

Checked and tightened all my wiring connections and splices.

Cleaned and retightened ground.

Tested resistance from negative terminal to ground (zero or
near zero resistance).

Ran a 10 gauge wire directly from the alternator to the solenoid.

Checked fan belt tension.

Ran a separate ground for the alternator.

At this point, I'm out of ideas.  I have a multi-meter, but I'm
not sure where to hook it up.  Any suggestions on what to look
for would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg