Re: Problems, problems...

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Problems, problems...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:37:27 -0500
At 06:05 PM 11/5/02 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>Problem 2.
>Having left Crete in a temperature of around 87F yesterday afternoon,
>and collected my car at Gatwick Airport in a temperature of around 35F
>last night, I drove for a while with the windows shut.   The car stinks
>of petrol, even an hour after the choke has been pushed in.   I hadn't
>noticed this previously - but then I've never driven the car with a
>hard-top on and the windows wound up before.   Fuel consumption seems to
>be good, so I don't suspect a large leak anywhere.   What else should I
>be looking at?   Breather pipes?

Mike,

Depending on which carbs you have on the car check:
1. Either SUs or Stromburg that one of the needle valves isn't sticking open
   and you are dumping gas out the over flow vents.
2. If Stromburg see if the plastic plug in the bottom of the float bowl is
   leaking.

I've had both problems in my Spits.

John

        65 Rambler Classic