Problems, problems...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Problems, problems...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:05:14 +0000
Dear All,

I have spent the summer driving the Herald convertible, and have only
recently switched back to the Spit for the winter (the Spit has a
hard-top; the Herald doesn't).   Not having driven the Spit for a while,
a couple of things struck me.

You will recall that the engine was rebuilt just under a year ago, and
that the gearbox was replaced with a second-hand one at about the same
time.

Problem 1.
There is a very loud BRRRRRRRRRRR noise from under the bonnet (on a
descending note) when decelerating through 4000 rpm.   It starts when
the engine speed drops to about 4000 rpm and has gone by the time it
reaches about 3900 rpm.   The engine runs beautifully at all speeds up
to 6000 rpm when accelerating or cruising, and at all speeds below 6000
rpm when decelerating, except in this area.   What on earth could be
causing this, what harm is it doing, and how can I fix it?

Problem 2.
Having left Crete in a temperature of around 87F yesterday afternoon,
and collected my car at Gatwick Airport in a temperature of around 35F
last night, I drove for a while with the windows shut.   The car stinks
of petrol, even an hour after the choke has been pushed in.   I hadn't
noticed this previously - but then I've never driven the car with a
hard-top on and the windows wound up before.   Fuel consumption seems to
be good, so I don't suspect a large leak anywhere.   What else should I
be looking at?   Breather pipes?

Any and all help gratefully received, as ever.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671