Re: Steering wheel - front end question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel - front end question
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:26:40 -0400
Most likely in a past front end alignment only one tie rod end was
adjusted, leaving the rack and steering wheel off center.  No big deal
then.

Less likely, the steering wheel was removed and reattached off center.
Again, no big deal.

To fix, you've first got to get the rack centered.  I don't think the
Spitfire has a centering pin in the rack, or anything like that.  So
you've simply got to measure the extension of the two inner tie rod
ends.  Get them equal and the rack is centered.  Check the steering
wheel position now.  Most likely it's about right.  If not, remove and
reattach in the correct position.  Now adjust the tie rod ends to get
proper toe in, with the rack centered.

There is also the thin chance of crash damage causing misalignment that
has never been resolved.  This is a very thin chance compared to the
previous two suggestions.

>>> "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu> 06/20/02 10:15AM >>>
Question:  when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead, should
the
steering wheel have it's horizontal spokes level?   When my car is in
that position (front wheels straight ahead)  my steering wheel is
cocked
to one side about 20 degrees or so.  Is this situation normal or could
it be that someone put the steering wheel on in-correctly?   Is this a
bad thing that should be corrected quickly?