steering knuckle joint

To: spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: steering knuckle joint
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I tried, and gave up trying to fit my new
steering coupling joint (joint between rack and column).

I phoned the suppliers to say that it wouldn't fit and it turns out that
the coupling has been mis-manufactured so that the pinch bolt cannot pass
through the coupling without fouling on the rack/column splines.

They have not been able to source a correctly manufactured one yet and it
appears that the country's supply of these parts have all been
incorrectly manufactured.

I was thinking that I could use my old coupling and put the rubber bits
from the new coupling into the old one as I presume this is the only bit
that would deteriorate?  Unfortunately I couldn't undo the coupling as my
screwdriver bit broke while trying to unscrew it.

Does the coupling just serve as a bit of flexibility between the rack and
column?  I can't quite understand why it has the extra flexibility built
in.  What would be the effects of putting an old, worn coupling back in?

Also does anyone have an old coupling that will come apart they would
sell me, or better still a correctly manufactured new one?

Summer is fast approaching and I want Saskia back on the road where she
belongs!

cheers
John
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience