Re: Crankshaft endfloat.

To: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Crankshaft endfloat.
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:57:56 -0400
Funny coincidence.  Last year I measured my endfloat at 0.014".
So I got a set of brand new standard thrust bearings and put
them.  Afterwards the float was 0.013".

I guess this could have happened if the original Vandervell bearings did not
wear at all, and only the steel crank thrust surfaces got worn.
But I sort of doubt it...

What I ended up doing was replacing my original Vandervell thrust
bearings with aftermarket ones that were not actually any thicker.
Ten years from now, I might wish I had just left it alone :-(

Doug Braun
'72 Spit