Re: Continuing saga of Klunk over bumps

To: Greg Schluge <gschluge@cstone.net>
Subject: Re: Continuing saga of Klunk over bumps
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:54:05 -0700
Greg Schluge wrote:

> I have had a loud clunk on the driver's rear for a while now on my 76 spit.  I
> pulled the diff out last weekend to fix some leaks, checked the shocks, ok,
> spring was a mess, rebult the spring completely, checked bushings, all ok.
> Put it back together and I still have a clunking noise in the rear driver
> area.  The wheel leans out on this side too.  Very noticably.  I notice that I
> can make the klunk happen when I apply power up a hill slowly out my driveway.
> It also klunks over bumps at low speed.  It is ok on the open road.  It really
> sounds like something loose under there but I can't seem to find it.!!??  Any
> clue's?

It is it a single clunk or a repetitive one?

If it is a single clunk, it is probably due to one of the trunnion parts being
worn out or the hole ovaled out.  That will cause slop in the mating
pieces and will clunk when the torque is reversed (letting off the power after
accelerating, when braking, or applying power after decelerating).
Jack the car up and vigorously shake the suspension components attached to the
vertical links.  Any play at all will be easily noticeable and will
indicate that is the problem.

If it is a repetitive clunk, it would be in rotating parts, like bearings,
u-joints, differential, etc.

Hope this helps!

Joe