FW: oiling the trunnions

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: oiling the trunnions
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:36:58 -0000
James,

You have the right oil.  No problem there.

You don't need to disassemble anything to oil your trunnions.  If you wipe
all the elderly congealed grease/mud/dirt etc. off the trunnion, somewhere
under there is a grease nipple.

gear oil, connect to the nipple, and pump away.  This is a bit messy and
some oil will leak out, but you should be getting most of it into the
trunnion.  Keep pumping until whatever is coming out of any orifice looks
like clean oil.  Some people have come up with ways of making it less messy
(I vaguely remember mention of a grease pump designed for marine use?), but
I just wipe up afterwards - but not too well, I reckon the spilt oil acts
well as a rust preventer for whatever it lands on!

If it seems that all the oil you are pumping is escaping, you may have a
problem.  First of all the nipple may be jammed - use a thin pokey thing to
poke at the little spring-loaded ball in the centre of the nipple and make
sure that it can be pushed in a little.  If the nipple is good and you still
aren't getting anywhere, it is possible some dumb idiot has previously
filled the trunnion with grease (Duh!  I saw a grease nipple so I greased
it! Duh!).  There are mixed opinions on what to do next:  some say you must
dismantle, clean, and then start again with oil.  Some maintain that grease
will work perfectly well for years (and have the trunnions to prove it).

When you are done, return the remaining oil to the bottle.  If you leave it
in the gun, the gun is not well enough sealed to contain it (it's designed
to hold something much thicker, remember), so when you come back in 6 months
you will have an empty gun and a large oil stain (ask me how I know!).

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email