A Trip to the Seaside

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: A Trip to the Seaside
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:34:28 +0000
Dear All,

Just felt I had to share the first long-distance trip in Carly since the
engine rebuild.   Since this is probably only of the remotest interest
even to my nearest and dearest, I'll keep it short.

Bedford to Southend, via A- and B-roads, and back again in time for "The
Simpsons."   Carly ran beautifully, the engine heating up slightly in
the bigger traffic jams (but the needle fell back to barely above the
middle of the gauge when the car heating fan was turned on).   Maximum
speed attained only 80-ish (but I did have a six-year-old-tomorrow in
the passenger seat and a room-sized Gazebo on the boot rack).   Sunshine
bright and cheerful in Beds, Cambs and Herts, but there was heavy cloud
over Essex (does God know something?).   Still a little early for
LBC-spotting, but counted three MGBs and a Midget (none of which
returned my friendly greeting), and a TR6 with the top down, whose
driver waved wildly as we passed.

All in all, a very good day.

Summer's nearly here, and I have just the car for it...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"