Re: Mind if I join the fun?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mind if I join the fun?
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:34:59 -0500
Marc writes:

>This little spitfire has been Ziebarted from new. I understand it is
>a rust proofing (really?) thing, and that it is good that it was done
>from new... Any "hands-on" experience with the process?

Yes.  I had a '74 Plymouth "Ziebarted" when the car was three years
old.   This was not recommended as they like to catch the car when
new.  Still, I felt it extended the life of the body somewhat.  It was
mostly solid at 240,000 miles when I drove it to the scrap yard.  This
was a New England car where roads are heavily salted.

The material is a black, wax-like substance possibly a Waxoyl clone.
It's effectiveness will depend on careful application.  Sadly,  the
process gained a bad reputation during the '80s when it was poorly
applied as part of  "dealer protection packages".  At least this was
true of "Rusty Jones" and such.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley