RE: horn wiring to steering wheel

To: "'John Hobson'" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: horn wiring to steering wheel
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:20:01 -0000
John,

I'm afraid not.  The problem is that the Montney horn push assumes your
wiring works in the following way:

Battery-----horn-----switch-----earth

Therefore the switch works by taking the single input wire and grounding it
directly to earth - in this case via the boss to the steering column.  This
worked fine when I fitted a Mountney to the MG BGT I had, as that's how its
horn was wired.

However, a Spitfire horn is wired:

Battery-----switch-----horn-----earth

at least for the late 1500 - earlier cars may be different.  Therefore the
switch needs to have two wires going to it - a live supply from the battery,
and the switched output to the horn.  The Mountney horn push is not wired
this way.

You may be able to pull the horn push apart and bodge it somehow, but it
will not work directly as it is.  I'd certainly look at it, however - I too
hate having the horn push on the column stalk, I can never find it in the
split second when I really want it!

BTW, what year is your 1500?  Mine had the original Moto-Lita leather wheel
that Triumph fitted for a couple of years around 1978 (I replaced it because
the leather was falling off in strips!).  The boss for this fits the
Mountney wheel perfectly, you just have to drill some more holes through it
because the Moto-Lita has 9 bolts while the Montney has 6.  This also
enables you to retain the delightful original boss cap, with the BL logo on
it (as well as saving 15 quid on a Mountney boss!).

Good luck!

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email