Re: thrust washer lube

To: "Terry Thompson" <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: thrust washer lube
From: "Fred Griffiths" <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:46:42 -0700
Hi Terry,
    Thanks for the technical discussion on washers.
I'm not sure I understand the first part of your email though...

> This is a different engine so it might be comparing
> apples to oranges. I can see the theoretical
> improvement in internal lube (it is identical in size
> to the oil holes in the front/rear mains) but feeds an
> extra rod, it's weight and the center, biggest part of
> the crank. Also, the same oil pump is used on the 2
> litre in-line 6's, so the pump should be able to keep
> adequate pressure through a slightly larger hole.

I have an old 6 cyl motor apart here, and noticed that the oil pump is
larger - about half again as tall as the Spit version.

I'm also not sure what this means...

> They said
> they'd never heard of anyone widening the center oil
> galley and that they would prefer not to do it, as
> there was more risk of damaging the block than any
> benefit would have been gained from widening it that
> extra fractional ammount.

Are you thinking of a motor which has the thrust washers in the centre main
bearing?  If so, I can see the logic in that.  However the Spit has the
thrust washers only on the upper half of the rear main bearing.

>had already widened it in the past, but according to
> the shop the center was already very close to a 5/16"
> size.

I estimate the rear main bearing oil hole is about 1/4", which feeds only
the rear main and rear rod.  So I'm thinking a 1/32" or smaller hole to the
thrust washer would not adversely affect the amount of oil getting to those
parts.

I'll reearch further,
Thanks for your input. Fred