Re: Used throttle shafts and re-drilled rims

To: David Gardner <david@autocenteronline.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Used throttle shafts and re-drilled rims
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 20:04:58 -0800 (PST)
Dave,
I believe that Spitfires are hubcentric from the
factory, as all of my Spitfires (and GT6) have wheels
whose center hole fits closely to the machined center
portion of the hub. The rear hubs have three little
projections surrounding the axle nut for the wheel
hole to bear onto.

I have seen aftermarket alloy wheels that were not
hubcentric, or at least there was no adaptor ring
used.

Most of the Sport Compact guys are pretty careful to
make sure that their wheels are fitted with the proper
adaptor rings to make the wheels hubcentric. Maybe
because they typically run more horsepower, and fatter
tires than we do.

If your wheels don't have adaptor rings, I'd certainly
look into getting some, as the Spitfire 3/8-24 lugs
are a known weak point. (I've snapped more than I can
count).

Hate to see you scratch up the top of the roll bar!

Carter