RE: Soft-Top Retainer

To: "'Ree Gurley'" <reegurley@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Soft-Top Retainer
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:43:20 -0500
Ree,

I see that you have had several answers to your question. Let me
chime in here as I have owned my '73 since '75. I am the only
person to have replaced the top on my car (in 1979). Granted
that today is my 50th birthday and my memory is probably
totally shot.

The Spit top should have an extra flap on material on the rear.
This would have had adhesive on it where it wraps arounf the
underside of the retainer. The snaps were through the outer
part of the top, and through the retainer, but _not_ through
the inner, glued on, part. This probably was used as a buffer
to keep the metal and the rivets from scraping on the body.

As for weatherstripping, there was none, but there were some
rubber pads to keep the retainer from metal to metal contact
with the body. My original pads appeared to be nothing more
than a small piece of inner tube, so when they rotted, that
is what I used.

Cheers,

Doug

--