Re: Engine cutting out

To: "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine cutting out
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:27:37 -0600
At 11:33 -0500 11/25/01, Will Slater wrote:
>Well I finally got my Spit's (''73 1500) timing adjusted and the engine
>idles very smoothly. However, on a recent trip I noticed that after the car
>warmed up the engine would cut out briefly then come back on line.  it seems
>to be happening with greater frequency and duration. It does not seem to be
>fuel line related as stepping on the accelerator and it will increase the
>revving of the engine as it comes back on line rather than bog down. The
>Haynes manual suggests that it may be in the ignition system particularly
>the coil. I swapped out the existing coil for one form my '76 parts car. The
>problem continued. It could be both coils are bad but that seems unlikely.
>When we ( a mechanic friend and I)  inspected the distributor the points
>looked fine and the condenser looks new. The rotor looked a bit worn. Any
>suggestions or insight will be very much appreciated.
>Will
>Novice owner and mechanic

Will --

I would suggest looking for faults in the electrical system - you may
well have a broken wire in the ignition system.  Could also be a
faulty ignition switch in the steering column, or a corroded or loose
connection in the fuse box, or even a bad connection on the engine
ground strap (though you might well have starter problems then too).

HTH,
Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Front suspension back together too, & steering box coming along nicely.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!