Engine cutting out

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine cutting out
From: "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:33:38 -0500
Well I finally got my Spit's (''73 1500) timing adjusted and the engine
idles very smoothly. However, on a recent trip I noticed that after the car
warmed up the engine would cut out briefly then come back on line.  it seems
to be happening with greater frequency and duration. It does not seem to be
fuel line related as stepping on the accelerator and it will increase the
revving of the engine as it comes back on line rather than bog down. The
Haynes manual suggests that it may be in the ignition system particularly
the coil. I swapped out the existing coil for one form my '76 parts car. The
problem continued. It could be both coils are bad but that seems unlikely.
When we ( a mechanic friend and I)  inspected the distributor the points
looked fine and the condenser looks new. The rotor looked a bit worn. Any
suggestions or insight will be very much appreciated.
Will
Novice owner and mechanic