Re: almost there....... x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: almost there....... x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:50:11 -0500
In message <3BFB9CDC.CEBC691C@rave.ac.uk>you write:
>So I fitted my K&Ns and theyre pretty much balanced & tuned- Im tweaking
>it everyday by looking at the spark plug colour - and theyre both pretty
>much biscuit.
>
>Now my only problem is the loudness - since the weekend its got louder -
>it makes more of a thrashing noise that a tuneful symphony of pistons.
>
>It was initally just a bit louder than it was with the standard air
>filters - but it seems to have got louder - and not tunefully so.

   What kind of noise are you hearing.  Is it just the induction noise
   of ticking noise from the valves?

>Also even though its tuned as much as I can - there seems to be a
>problem with the choke. Initially the choke works as it should - all the
>cams are working - revs go up -mixture adjusts - mechanically it seems
>to work fine - there is plenty of power - however after about 30 seconds
>the revs slowly die - the choke is still fully engaged (by me pulling it
>out - how do you lock it in place?)  - but it still dies. Once warm the
>car is fine. But there seems to be a gap between it being cold and warm
>where it has less power.

  The way I work the choke on my 78  with dual HS2's is full choke on cold
  start up and then push in the choke about half way till I get an idle
  speed of around 1300-1500RPM.  When the choke is fully engaged the
  mixture is very rich and only good for cold starting not idle.

  I too had the same problem with the choke cable not staying in place.  But
  you can put a small bend on the cable where it comes out from behind the
  knob.  This will place more friction on the inside of the cable and will
  stop the slipping.

>On a side note the exhaust now splutters a lot more - especially when
>deaccelerating. And I checked the oil for the first time in while (not
>more than 3 weeks) and it has gone down to about half - at first it
>didnt seem to go down very quickly at all, when I filled it to full for
>the first time.

  Are you referring to the dash pot oil?  You will loose some oil in the
  dash pot if it is over filled.  You can see a nice spray of oil coming
  out of the top of your dash pot if you rev your engine when it is full.
  Check the area under your bonnet where your carbs are, you should see
  some oil spots there.  That is where your oil is going.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |