Saskia's back!

To: spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Saskia's back!
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:21:30 -0800 (PST)
I eventually, after far too long off the road, finished replacing
Saskia's front suspention at 2.30am on Friday night!

I almost didn't quite get everything done because a bad nut partially
stripped the threads on the tie rod end.  I stuck another washer on there
and managed to torque another bolt on sufficiently.  For my own peace of
mind is there a way I could lock the thread?

Driving to work today I also noticed that the rear end seems to be little
more tail happy than before, I almost lost it on a roundabout.  The
springs that I fitted are 15% lowered, is this likely to have affected
the rear end?  It may just be my perception having driven only modern
cars for the last three months.

The steering still seems to have a bit of slop in it so I am thinking fo
getting a new rack and tie rod ends.  The nuts on the rack appear to be
very well stuck in place so I'm sure that I will be able to separate them
from the tie rod ends.

The ride comfort has improved significantly, especially over bumps and
pot-holes, everything feels tighter, and certainly not at all jarring as
you might expect with poly bushes all round.

I will put up a report of the rebuild on my website, sometime soon,
maybe, when I have time...

thanks once again to everyone who gave me help and advice from this list,
couldn't have done it without you all!

cheers
John & Saskia
http://www.spit1500.co.uk/