Looking at new engine - questions and NOS Boot Cover FS!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking at new engine - questions and NOS Boot Cover FS!
From: Zach Zaletel <Zzalet@po-box.mcgill.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 01:54:46 -0500
Hello again everyone,

Part One: Today's series of questions focuses (focii?) on the venerable,
often forgotten 1147cc engine.  I'm looking at purchasing one to put in my
1970.

Why would I be thinking about doing such a thing, you ask?  Well, when I
purchased the Spit in 1996, the engine in the car was an 1147 which the
owner before the owner whom I was purchasing the car from had put in.
Give or take a few years later, the engine has worked its way down to low
compression in multiple cylinders and a top speed of about 40 mph (I'm
not driving it at all, but the last time it was driven, it wasn't going to go
any
faster than that).  On the up side, the current engine now has the full time
"smoke screen" function working properly, but I figure this isn't the most
environmentally friendly thing to be doing, and it has to be pretty aweful for
the people driving behind me.

Getting back to the main part of my question/story:  I've found another
1147 which is available locally (okay, within 2 hours) which is in
purportedly good condition.  Exact compression numbers not known, but
claimed to be in good shape when was removed from car.  Purpose
claimed for engine removal was CGT6 project which was never
completed.  The engine comes with the intake and exhaust manifolds
(which I already have anyways), flywheel and the engine itself.  The seller
is asking $300 for the unit.  Does this price sound fair, high or low to
those of you out there in the know?  I have a guess, but don't want to
influence the responses.

Pros:  I'll be able to use all the ancillaries off my current engine, will
have
some extra parts for swapping, available nearby, price
Cons:  Still the 1147, precise engine condition unknown, price

Part Two:   I have a NOS black with white piping convertible top boot cover
for a Mk III Spitfire.  If my interior was black I'd be using it, but the
biscuit
forces my hand and so now I offer it to you.  I'm asking $80 for it.  Email
me off the list if interested.  Some photos should be at

Part Three:  If anyone has a '70 RAF bullseye badge which they'd like me
to redo with red and blue vinyl, email me off the list as well.  I'll do the
work
for free so long as you include return postage.  There should be a pic in
the album 2 of the above photo collection if you are curious as to how it
would look.  While it won't win any concours, it should take care of some
of the fade.  I haven't tried, but it could also probably be carefully peeled
off
if a concours attempt were going to be made.

Thanks for reading,
Zach Zaletel
70 Spit Mk III