Re: Spit Pics

To: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Spit Pics
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:55:05 -0800
Mike,

Looks like everything turned out real nice.  With all the mods you've made to
the rear end, the Mk3 turn signal lenses shouldn't bother you too much.  As
for the bumperettes, why not just install the original chrome overriders, or
perhaps the Mk3 overriders if the original style won't fit?

The only thing is, without the bumpers in the rear or around the nose, I'd
NEVER want to park in the street for fear of somebody backing up into or
otherwise dinging the coachwork.  And I guess nighttime driving is out, too,
right?  Otherwise, you'll certainly get a ticket for no license plate light.
IF an officer happens to notice.  Anyway, it looks like you did a splendid job
and thanks for the inspiration.

After getting estimates ranging from $5,500 to $12k, I decided to do it all
myself as well with encouragement from a local mentor whose done his own
Spitfire restoration.  I won't embarass him by naming him, but he's also a
list member and has been TERRIFIC in helping me learn bodyworking skills (I
hammered out and restored a damaged front corner of the bonnet and crunched
rear valance after his instruction).  I've invested probably close to $2,500
in tools so far (a two stage compressor, sandblasting rig, MIG welder, etc.),
but it's been a ball learning these new skills and doing it myself.  I'm going
to learn to weld now and finish the rotisserie for the body per Dan Canaan's
plans, weld up a couple of small stress cracks, and convert my donor tub to
RHD, since that's what I'm restoring.  By Spring, I should be ready to paint.
I may stick with red, but I'm leaning toward a two stage silver/clear coat
acrylic.  I'll be building my own spray booth and painting it myself, too.  I
was afraid of painting it myself at first, but now I'm almost beginning to
think of that phase as my "reward" after doing all the body prep, since the
results will hopefully prove to be very good.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 donor tub
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net