Breaking down epoxy on a TR part

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Breaking down epoxy on a TR part
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:34:51 -0800
I have a GT6 gas cap but the large magnet is mounted cocked so that when
its closed, it doesn't seat properly.  this position prevents the rubber
seal from contacting the seat all around, so that there is a noticeable
leaking of fumes while running with the top down.  The cap is aluminum, and
the magnet appears to be secured with some kind of epoxy or other type of
hard set compound.  I would like to remove the magnet to re-set it
correctly but am at kind of a loss as to a safe way to destroy or breakdown
this "substance".  I am not concerned about the seal, that can be replaced.
 I also have another cap without the magnet that could be used so the
aluminum part *could* be destroyed (but that would be a last resort.  I'd
rather not go that drastic a route).  I thought of heating the darn thing
up to about 500 deg but I don't want to destroy the magnet in the process
and thought heat might do that.  Anybody have any better ideas
(for those not familiar with this cap it is identical to the TR6 style with
the exception of a large fairly powerful magnet ring embedded in the cap)