Alternator Help

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Help
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:58:24 -0400
My alternator stopped charging at some point in the recent past as I
found out today when I ran the battery down to the point where the
engine died.  I had no warning as the little red dash light had never
come on.  After recharging the battery to get home, I noticed that
the red light wasn't coming on at start-up to "excite" the alternator
into charging.  I checked the bulb and it's good (as a matter of fact,
I can get it to light by grounding the socket onto the back on the
dash) and I checked the wiring (OK, I think) and the connection at
the alternator (good).

Keeping in mind that I'm a complete electrical idiot, what else should
I check?  Could there be something wrong with the alternator and if
so is it repairable or is the alternator junk?  BTW, it's the stock
Lucas unit that came with the 78 spits.

TIA!

Greg Rowe