RE: Alternator Help

To: "'Greg Rowe'" <growe58@hotmail.com>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Alternator Help
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:06:52 +0100
Greg,

Do I get this right?  The bulb does not light in situ, but will light if you
touch the housing to a good ground?

The housing should be in a good ground where it is fitted!  The speedo
housing should be grounded - this is done by a wire which should be trapped
under one of the nuts holding the speedo in place.  It sounds like this wire
is missing.  If this is the case, I would expect your oil light and headlamp
main beam warning light also not to work.

As long as your wiring harness isn't screwed up, have a hunt around behind
your speedo - there should be a black wire with a ring-shaped connector at
the end; remove one of the nuts holding the speedo retainer in place and
replace the nut with this connector underneath.

This should solve the bulb-not-lighting problem.  As for the alternator
itself, I'd be tempted just to replace it, but then my electrical skills are
not super, so I am wary of delving too much into the details.  Re-built
units are #25-#30 ($38-$45) in the UK if you give your old one in as
exchange, so it is not a huge expense.  Remove the pulley and fan before you
hand the old one in, as (here at least) the rebuilt units don't have them on
as supplied - this can be quite a job, as they do not move willingly if they
have been there a while.

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email