RE: i bought one! and a simple question.

To: "'James Carruthers'" <jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: i bought one! and a simple question.
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:32:01 +0100
Congratulations!  I am sure your new Spit will give you plenty of motoring
happiness!  I am also sure that it will teach you a thing or two about
mechanics.  Don't worry, it's all about as simple as a car can get, and we
are all here to help you.  First thing you should do is go and get a Haynes
manual!

I would check everything in the throttle system is working right before
spending any money.  The cable should always be taut - there is a threaded
adjustment to make sure of this where the outer cable terminates.  Then make
sure that, when you pull on the cable, there is only a tiny amount of
movement before the little tabs on the bar between the carbs start to
operate the 'forks' that attach to each throttle - last time I let a
so-called 'professional' do carb work on my car he left such a large gap
that it took half the pedal movement to start opening the carbs themselves,
and needless to say I couldn't even get them full open until I adjusted.
The tabs can be rotated on the shaft so that there is the correct gap - the
gap is defined in the manual, I can't remember what it should be, but you'll
need some feeler gauges (v. cheap from Halfords or any car parts store) to
get it right.

If all this looks fine, then go ahead and remove the inner of your throttle
cable and lubricate, or replace if it looks necessary, as already advised.

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email