Thrust washer nightmare

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thrust washer nightmare
From: "Bruce Larson" <ploscar@Prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:19:25 -0700
Hello list,
Talk about learning as you go.  I am in the middle of a body-off restoration.
When I bought the car about 2 years ago, the engine ran great.  I pulled off
the pan to look for fallen thrust washers before commencing the restoration,
but with my limited knowledge, things looked okay.  After finishing the frame
and starting to put things back together, I took a closer look at the engine.
After removing the rear main bearing cap with the intention of putting in new
thrust washers, I found that a DPO did extensive work in pinning a thrust
washer to the back of the lower bearing cap.  It looks like the back flange of
the crankshaft is cupped by wear.  The thrust washers are entirely missing
from their regular location.  In other words, it looks like a mess.    Now for
my question - is there anything I can do to salvage the engine?  I know the
usual suppliers sell crankshafts.  Is it possible to replace the crankshaft?
I plan on taking an even closer look this weekend to see if there is
significant damage to the block.  Does anyone have any advice on possible
solutions (including the location of a replacement engine if necessary)?  I
would ask someone to drop by and take a look at it, but I live in Hawaii.
Aloha,
Bruce Larson