What manifold is this?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: What manifold is this?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:10:02 -0400
I'm in the middle of carb improvements for my GT6 and have come across a
curious question.  The car had a pair of SU's (from an "EmBeGee", so I
understand from the part numbers) instead of Z-S's, but the boxes of spare
parts that came with the car contained a pair of Z-S carbs still attached to
another manifold.  Both this manifold and the one already on my car the
same, except that the carb mounting studs are arranged differently.  The two
Z-S carbs are identical, with mounting studs arranged thus:

...o......o.
.o......o...

whereas the SU mounting studs are symmetric, like this:

.o........o.
...o....o...

One of these is obviously not factory-original!  The Z-S version is clearly
labelled Standard-Triumph but I haven't noticed any name on the SU version.

The questions are:  Where did these manifolds come from?  Did the factory
GT6 manifolds have non-symmetric mounting studs like the one in my parts
box?  If so, where did the symmetric version on my car come from?  An
EmGeeCee or some other 6?  Is either of these perhaps a TR6 manifold?

Curious minds want to know such things.

Been trying to clean up the Z-S carbs, but they've been sitting unused for
10 years or more.  Yowee, are they ever stuck together!  Sloooowly they come
apart.  The shafts turn freely and the plungers and needles are in great
shape.  But I've managed to get the float bowl off of only one so far.  Its
float valve was frozen solid.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)