Re: noisy valves and oil light

To: goalie_john <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: noisy valves and oil light
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2001 08:58:44 -0500
John,

A little light ticking from the valves is quite normal.  If it is at all loud,
 and particularly if you can hear it clearly when driving, then all is not as
 it should be.

Never fear, there is a 95% chance you just haven't got your valve clearances
 adjusted correctly.  By design, there is a small gap between the rocker and
 the top of the valve.  This gap is there to ensure that the valves close fully
 when they are supposed to be closed, rather than being held very slightly open
 by the cam.  The slight ticking you should be able to hear all the time is
 this gap being taken up as each valve starts to open.

It is easy to adjust this gap.  Remove the rocker cover (may be worthwhile
 buying a new gasket in advance for when you re-fit it - they are dirt cheap).
 The gap is adjusted by loosening the lock-nut on the threaded bit at the end
 of the rocker arm, then screwing the threaded bit down until you can just slip
 a 15 thou feeler gauge between the rocker and the valve tip.  Re-tighten the
 lock nut, holding the thread in place to make sure the gap doesn't change as
 you are tightening up.

This (the standard) process does have a draw-back, as it doesn't allow for the
 fact that the valve might have worn a hollow in the rocker end.  Bad ASCII
 art:

____________________
I   __
I_/    \_______________
     _
    /  \
   I    I
   I    I

The feeler gauge will not account for the depth of this hollow, so you will end
 up with an effective gap of 15 thou plus the hollow depth.  The ideal way to
 get the exact gap (so I have been told) is to adjust the threaded bit until it
 just contacts the valve tip, then back off by ? degrees.  This will give you
 the exact gap.  However, I can't remember how many ? degrees is, as it is
 dependant on the thread pitch, which I can't remember.  Anyone out there know?
Say the pitch is 50 thou, then the angle to back the thread off by will be
 360*15/50=108 degrees - hard to do exactly, but a quarter turn plus a little
 should be close enough.  You get the idea.

As for the oil light coming on under heavy braking (or cornering), this is
 usually a sign that you have let the oil level get MUCH too low - most of the
 time the feed to the oil pump is submerged, but under heavy loads all the oil
 in the sump gets thrown to one side or end, and the oil pump feed can suck
 nothing but air - so pressure drops until the pump is pumping oil again.  If
 you are fully topped up with oil, there is something sinister afoot, and I'm
 not sure what it can be.

Richard & Daffy