Never judge a book by its cover...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Never judge a book by its cover...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:26:08 +0100
Dear All,

My mechanic is now fairly sure that he has discovered why I blew a head
gasket last weekend.   At some point in the recent past, a PO has had
the engine rebuilt, with bored-out cylinders and oversize pistons.  So
recently was this done that there is no sign of any carbon build-up.
However, there are signs on the gasket that it has not been providing a
perfect seal for a while.   Our conclusion?   That the DPO failed to
tighten up the cylinder head studs properly after his rebuild, or
retighten them after running in.   Doh!

The good side of this, of course, is that I now know that I bought Carly
complete with what is effectively a brand new engine.   No wonder she's
a bit of a goer...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"

///