Front Wheel Bearing Dust Seal

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Wheel Bearing Dust Seal
From: "Mike Nelson" <mnelson@tconl.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:14:30 -0600
First and foremost, thanks for recent assistance on anther question to Larry
Vaughan, Mike Chambers, and Scott Roberts.  I appreciate the quality answers
I get to my silly questions.

I just rebuilt the entire front end of my '79 Spit.  I had trouble getting
the right front hub adjusted properly.  (let it be known, the source of the
problem is probably a bone head decision on my part... I bought one wheel
bearing kit on Ebay a few months ago, and then the second just recently.
both were QH parts, with the only visible difference being the felt dust
seals, one a thinner white felt, and the other a thicker gray felt)

None the less, I was quite proud that my limited mechanical ability ran into
little trouble with the rebuild.  With everything back together, I took it
to an alignment shop for a four wheel alignment job.  Everything went
well..(they didn't even say 'Huh?' when I told them the care I had) but the
trouble for them was the same as I experienced, they couldn't get the right
front adjusted because of the seal.  Too much play with the bearings.  He
removed the felt dust seal, and then all was well.

Question:  What is the general opinion on these seals?  I recall others were
suggesting not even using these seals in the first place..  What say you?

Mike Nelson