Re: Brake Play Part II

To: ckigar@sound.net
Subject: Re: Brake Play Part II
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:41:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi, Chip.

Check the pedal arm where it attaches to the master cylinder clevis;
sounds to me like the hole in the arm might be elongated.  This is a
point where the linkage wears and the only evidence is that the pedal
travels a way before moving the MC pushrod.  The whole arrangement is
hidden beneath a rubber boot under the bonnet up high on the scuttle.
Lift the boot and have a friend press the brake pedal while you watch
for MC pushrod movement.

HTH,
Donald.

> From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:04:10 -0600
>

> First, thanks to Joe Curry, Michael Porter and Terry Thompsom for your
> replies.  To answer a question, it's an '80 spit.  I replaced the rear brake
> hoses with new rubber ones (I live about 10 minutes drive from V. Brits..
> sometimes a great convenience, sometimes not the best choice.. they don't
> stock SS lines).  The existing rear hoses were visibly bad with a split in
> one of the outer casings.   I also put in new rear wheel cylinders.  I
> installed speed bleeders which certainly make bleeding more convenient.
>
> There just seems to be 2-3" of movement before I encounter any resistance
> (and braking)in the brake pedal.
> It just feels as if the pedal is getting about 1/2 way to the floor before
> anything happens.

[SNIP]