Re: Spitfire 1500 tools

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 tools
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:57:55 +0000
In article <3.0.1.32.20010223175603.007b9d90@pop.xs4all.nl>, Eric
Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl> writes
>At 07:52 23-2-2001 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>
>>What basic tools should one carry in a '77 1500?
>
>Whatever you're comfortable with. ;-)
>
>>I shall be carrying a jack, a wheel-brace, a Philips screwdriver, an
>>ordinary screwdriver, a pair of long-nose pliers, a pair of bull-nosed
>>pliers and a socket set (and probably a 1/16" Allen Key!), but what else
>>would be useful to have on board in case of mishaps?
>
>You've had some good (and some hilarious) answers already.

If you think the ones you've seen on the list are hilarious, you should
see the ones that came by private e-mail!   I am compiling a complete
list of all responses, and will post a summary here in a day or so.
(Hint to other listers - get your recommendations in a.s.a.p.)

>As a special service to this list, I've just taken a picture of the
>well-filled tool roll I always carry in my own Spitfire:
>
>        http://www.xs4all.nl/~ekieboom/spit/toolroll.jpg
>
>It's a 290kB file showing the stuff I hardly ever need.

You carry a set of feelers?   What on earth for?   The only possible use
I can think of is negated by the fact that it is remarkably cheap and
easy to buy a replacement set of plugs...

And is that a bottle opener, bottom left?   That I can empathise with!
(PopCulture LBC query: what was that awful 1960s film with Cliff Richard
living on a canal boat under Spaghetti Junction and driving a
convertible Mini with a bottle of champagne in the glove-compartment?)

> The tool roll
>itself is army surplus and was bought at a classic car show.

Nice.   My tools are currently wrapped in a towel...

> I'm
>particularly proud of the Snap-on spanners/wrenches, which cost me an arm
>and a leg, but will last two lifetimes, at least. They make a lovely noise
>when dropped on a concrete floor. Also note the essential test lamp and
>spare fuses.

You're by no means the only one to mention fuses.   I have become used
to carrying fuses, having been driving an '89 Saab 9000S since last
September.   I reckon to replace a fuse at least as often as I fill the
petrol tank on that thing!

>In addition to all this, I carry a jack, wheelbrace, wheel chock, socket
>set, a bottle of 20W50, some rags, a fire extinguisher and a photocopied
>workshop manual. And no, the boot isn't even half filled yet.

You wait until you see a picture of my boot!

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
to be published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: