Overdrive tranny question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive tranny question
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:29:16 -0500
Hello all,

I'm seeking advice on purchasing an O/D transmission on eBay.  The item
currently listed is:
1976 Triumph Spitfire Overdrive Transmission Item #559396364

My questions are:
- I assume this unit will work in my 1978 Spit?
- What should I expect to bid for something like this?
- Is there any way to make sure this item works before I spend the
money?  Or do I just take my chances from what the seller says?
- Since this just looks like the tranny itself, what besides a shorter
driveshaft would I need to buy to get this thing to work in my car?
(never changed tranny's before-the one that's in my car work perfectly
fine)
- Any special questions I should ask the seller about this unit?

Thx in advance for everyone's advice.

michael chmura

 Michael Chmura
 Technical Services Manager
 University Information Systems
 University of Massachusetts, President's Office
 133 Whitmore Building
 Amherst, Massachusetts 01003
 Phone: 413-545-4673
 Fax:     413-545-3205