Re: RE: Is Triumph coming Back???

To: davidt@opentext.com, jmcneal@ohms.com, rgreene@whoi.edu
Subject: Re: RE: Is Triumph coming Back???
From: "Randy Woodward" <r.woodward@home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:47:17 -0600
> I myself would kill for a retro-designed Spit with 21st century
> > engineering,
> > >
> Actually, they would just screw it up- add junk it doesn't need, and turn
it
> into just another piece of crap designed for what the demographics say is
> what people want- a space seed with an x.5 litre "turbo" with this-n-that,
> and not a bit of originality or style. Basically, slap some triumph
emblems
> on an acura, cut the roof off, and there you go. The original Spits and
> Triumphs, while a little austere, and very simple, offer something the car
> industry has lost- style, grace, and a car requiring driving skill, but
> offering real driver satisfaction.

And an opportunity to be on a first name basis with the tow truck driver.

Seriously, I think you're exaggerating the lemming mentality of  automakers
just a bit. Toyota, for example, did not design the MR2 Spyder for any mass
demographic. They only expect to sell a few thousand a year. What they did
try to create was a no-frills, good performance, stylish two-seater designed
to appeal to a less than wealthy sports car enthusiast. In other words, your
typical Triumph owner.