Re: Drain plug and Diff casting thickness

To: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Drain plug and Diff casting thickness
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:11:43 -0800
>Could someone with a drain plug equipped diff handy
>(dry and out of the car) remove the plug and tell me
>how thick the casting is and if the crown wheel
>directly above the hole?
*******************************
This is from memory, but the casting is roughly 1/2 inch thick at this area
and yes the crown wheel is directly underneath and very close (probably
within an eight of an inch).  Your best bet, and I know it won't be the
desired one, is to remove the rear case (not all that hard since you
already have it out on the bench) then drill and tap to your hearts
content!  The real kicker would be the tap anyway.  You wouldn't be able to
tap the hole even if you drill it because of not enough clearance from the
crown wheel -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)