Drain plug and Diff casting thickness

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Drain plug and Diff casting thickness
From: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:09:33 -0800 (PST)

While I have my Diff on the workbench (undoing a PO
modification), I thought it would be a great time to
add a drain plug.

Could someone with a drain plug equipped diff handy
(dry and out of the car) remove the plug and tell me
how thick the casting is and if the crown wheel
directly above the hole?

I'd like some idea of how deep to drill before I break
through so I don't mar the internals and minimize the
chips that get in.

I'm going to screw my compressor hose into the fill
plug and put about 10-15 PSI in to help blow the chips
out when I drill through, then flush it.

I did the siphon trick with the plastic hose through
the fill plug last time I drained it.  It works, but
it is fiddly and only gets about 90% of the oil,
leaving the nasty stuff at the bottom. A drain plug is
the way to go.  Thanks.