Re: Re: Spit 1500 fuel tank capacity?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Spit 1500 fuel tank capacity?
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:55:01 -0700
> I've run my car dry when I first bought it, and didn't
> realize that E wasn't vapors...it really meant Empty.

When I got my first Spitfire, I ran it dry-I had been driving an Alfa sedan for
a year and a half that had a little red light that came on to tell you that
there was enough gas to get to the gas station. (As well as a gauge marked in
Italian.) So, I'm driving around, just so happy! and never saw a light come on!
;-P (Duh!)

> Well to make the long story longer, I can tell you
> that this car takes almost exactly to the oz. 8.5 U.S.
> gallons then it reaches a hairs breath from the bottom
> of my filler neck and the pump shuts off. I think the
> other .21 gals is if you fill the tank all the way to
> the gas cap!

Yes! I ran Nigel as far as I could with out being completely out (this is when
the odometer still worked) to measure how far off the gas gauge was. I got just
about the same amount.

> As far as the gauges go, my smiths gauge sits about
> 2mm beyond the 4/4 mark when full. And the left side
> of the needle just barely hugs the right side of the 0
> mark when it's empty. I don't know if it's our gauges
> or our floats or a combination that always give
> androgenous readings. But my gauge is a lot more well
> centered then most from what I understand.

It is. Mine reads a little bit than a quarter tank less than actual. If it's a
bit under half and I put gas in-I usually get a bit more than 4 gal.

YMMV,

Laura G.

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!