Re: Spit 1500 fuel tank capacity?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 fuel tank capacity?
From: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:28:42 -0800 (PST)
I've run my car dry when I first bought it, and didn't
realize that E wasn't vapors...it really meant Empty.
(the car died down hill from a gas station 3 blocks
away, while I was waiting for a 10 minute light to
change.) Luckily, spitfires are so light you can
actually push these things UPHILL by yourself! (I
didn't push it three blocks. Just off to the next side
street....Hey! I didn't say it was EASY pushing it up
the hill.)

Getting it on a level surface didn't help fill the
line with any more gas. It seemed to be dry.

Well to make the long story longer, I can tell you
that this car takes almost exactly to the oz. 8.5 U.S.
gallons then it reaches a hairs breath from the bottom
of my filler neck and the pump shuts off. I think the
other .21 gals is if you fill the tank all the way to
the gas cap!

As far as the gauges go, my smiths gauge sits about
2mm beyond the 4/4 mark when full. And the left side
of the needle just barely hugs the right side of the 0
mark when it's empty. I don't know if it's our gauges
or our floats or a combination that always give
androgenous readings. But my gauge is a lot more well
centered then most from what I understand.

-Terry
'76 Spitfire