RE: Oil

To: "Jason K. Cullum" <jcullum@chorus.net>,
Subject: RE: Oil
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:24:36 -0400
Years ago, oils came in single weights (viscosities).  You changed your oil
weights with the seasons due to difficulty of starting in cold climates.
Starting systems and batteries were not as advanced as today.  Soon
multi-weight, or multi-grade, oils were developed.  They had the viscosity
of a light weight oil, say 20W, but provided the lubricity of a heavier
weight oil, say 50W.  The reason they were developed probably has more to do
with modern engine design requirements than consumer convenience...not sure
though.  BTW, my '98 Ford truck, 5.4 liter V8,  requires 5W30.  If I run out
of that, I just pour a few quarts of Log Cabin pancake syrup in. Talk about
thin ;-)

Terrence N. Banbury
1967 SPITFIRE MK III
1988 Honda Accord lX