ZS Carb Problems, kinda long

To: spitfires-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: ZS Carb Problems, kinda long
From: "Richard Nettles" <dnettles@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 13:42:03 PDT
     Hope some of the ZS carb gurus can offer some advice to help me over a
hurdle.
     After about a year and a half the '78 1500 Spit project was ready to
hit the road, or so I thought.  After about 8 or 9 miles of test driving,
the engine sputtered and died. The carb was flooded, bad.  After sitting for
a while it cranked and got home.  Found a little trash in the float bowl,
floats a teeny bit high and no oil in the dashpot, otherwise everything
looked good.  Corrected all that and road tested, same result.
     In desperation, I installed the carb off a parts car.  No flooding,
good idle, but would not accelerate. On the off chance that the needle valve
was the culprit, I switched them and put the original carb back on. There
doesn't appear to be any flooding, but now the idle is now quite rough and
during the test drive, there was a little hesitation on acceleration and
some backfiring. Did not top off the dashpost again but almost none is in
it. ( Where does that stuff go?)
     Any suggestions for a systematic way to troubleshoot will be
appreciated. I don't have any manual but the Haynes. By the way, the fuel
pump is electic and the emission scheme has been reduced to its simplest
form(no air pump, no EGR, vents through empty canister to air breather).
TIA, R. J. Nettles